London, UK, 1 September 2010/BizWire/ – Barclays plc (FTSE:BARC ) is recognized by The International Charter for clear commitment to understanding its environmental impact and reducing it.
In the particular the International Charter committed on the following:
- The integration of environmental considerations into business decisions
- Continue progress towards its Climate Action Programme goals, which includes a commitment to reducing emissions from our own operations and developing low-carbon products and services
- Management of indirect impacts in its supply chain by collaborating with suppliers to secure an improvement in our environmental performance and theirs
- Our assessment of suppliers within the sourcing process assigns appropriate weighting to their environmental performance issues
- Barclays uses sustainable practices in property design and property management
- Barclays sets targets on key aspects of its environmental performance and reviews them periodically.
- Barclays will continue to raise awareness of environmental issues among its employees, encouraging environmentally responsible behaviour
- Barclays will continue to engage with industry groups and non-governmental organisations in order to contribute positively and pro-actively to environmental sustainability in business.
“Our stakeholders count on us to meet their expectations and demonstrate that we are a responsible bank. We do not and should not separate our sustainability activity from our daily business.” said John Varley, Group Chief Executive.
Other companies that also won the award include Intel, FedEx and Coca-Cola Enterprises.
About the International Charter
The International Charter is a global organization dedicated to helping companies do business in a socially responsible way. The Committed to the Environment program is designed to recognize companies that are leading the way in understanding and addressing their environmental impact. For more information please visit http://www.icharter.org/c2e
Barclays is a major global financial services provider engaged in retail banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking and wealth management with an extensive international presence in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 50 countries and employs over 144,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for 48 million customers and clients worldwide. For further information about Barclays, please visit our website http://www.barclays.com.